Wednesday, February 8

Food: Korean Fried Chicken & Buffalo Wild Wings


It wasn't love when I first had my Korean fried chicken from BonChon several months ago. It was okay. The second time I had it was a month after, and it was reheated BonChon to-go. I swear it was better than eating at the resto.  I finally gave it another chance yesterday. I still couldn't figure out why people love it. Maybe it's just me missing my Buffalo Wild Wings! :P





I came across a blog that claims to have a better Korean fried chicken recipe than BonChon (well, indirectly). I must try it.



Korean Fried Chicken
from Talentadong Chef 


Chicken Seasoning
(Chef's notes: Most recipes just call for salt and pepper for the seasoning, but for me, it is better if you season the chicken well so that you will have a succulent piece of chicken wing even without the sauce.)
  • 6 pieces chicken wings, drumstick and wing part separated (12 pcs total) 
  • 1/2 T minced onion 
  • 1/2 T minced garlic 
  • 2 T soy sauce 
  • salt and pepper to taste 
Breading
  • 1/2 c all purpose flour 
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch 
  • 1/2 cup rice flour 
  • 1/2 T chicken powder 
  • salt and pepper to taste 


Directions:
  1. Season chicken with onion, garlic, soy sauce, salt and pepper. 
  2. Marinate for at least an hour or overnight. 
  3. Prepare the breading by mixing well all the ingredients. Set aside. 
  4. Heat enough oil to deep fry wings in a pan (or large sauce pan). (Most recipes call for 350˚) 
  5. Working in batches of 6-8 pieces, toss flour mixture into the wings to evenly coat each piece. 
  6. Deep fry chicken until golden, 6–8 minutes. 
  7. Drain on paper towels and rest chicken wings for 2-5 minutes. 
  8. Re-fry chicken until crisp, about 6–8 minutes more. 
  9. Drain again. 
  10. Toss chicken wings in sauce.


Sauce
(Chef's Notes: Of the recipes I found online, there are basically two types. The Soy-honey glaze and the ketchup-chili sauce. I’m not really a fan of spicy food so the ketchup-chili sauce is out of the equation already. But then again, I love fried chicken with ketchup (better than gravy!) So I had to somehow include it in the recipe. It was a pretty bold risk for me to combine the soy-honey glaze with ketchup coz I really do not how the two flavors would combine. The risk paid off well coz the result was amazing!)

  • 1/4 cup soy sauce 
  • 2 T honey 
  • 2 T brown sugar 
  • 2 T Chinese cooking wine 
  • 1/4 cup water 
  • 3 1-inch wide ginger coins 
  • 1 T finely minced garlic 
  • 1/4 cup ketchup 
  • 1 T hot sauce

Directions:

  1. In a bowl, mix soy sauce, honey, water, Chinese cooking wine, and brown sugar. Set aside. 
  2. In a small saucepan on medium heat, saute garlic and ginger for 2 minutes. 
  3. Pour in soy sauce mixture and simmer for 10-12 minutes until sauce thickens. 
  4. Remove from heat and add in ketchup and hot sauce. 
  5. Stir to evenly mix the sauce.

Pin It!

2 comments:

I'd love to hear from you. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...